Tuesday, August 11, 2009

500 Days of Summer

Let me start here: I learned in grad school that with numbers, one can write the numerical symbol only in the middle of a sentence, but not at the beginning. This movie title is therefore ungrammatical.
Don't you just hate going to see a movie with a friend and during the movie you think, oh that character is so me! and then at the end of the movie your friend, who is so not the same, says, that character was so me! That's the worst. You think you're special and unique and then your friend tries to pretend she's the same way. It turns out movies are written to do just that - relate to a lot of people and make them feel unique. This movie is no exception. While I watched it, instead of thinking - I'm similar to that, I decided to think - these are the ways I'm not like that. Not sure how it worked out.
One guy I dated, who I thought was pretty compatible with me, told me I was completely not unique and that everyone thinks they are special so no one is. At first I was mad - how could he not see how awesome I was? But then I realized that it's so true. People are so not special. Everyone has their quirks and their favorite bands and their weird t-shirts. Just because you find someone who has a similar weird t-shirt doesn't mean you're soul mates. It just means you're both pretentious. It makes me feel good to know that in the end I'm not unique at all and that I actually fit in to society because I am under the illusion that I'm unique.
Did anyone else go on this train of thought after seeing this movie? BTW, Best Part: when Tom sees his "reflection" in the car window.

1 comment:

  1. i ve been telling you that i m normal for years! do you believe me yet??-ek

    ReplyDelete