Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Gym

Well, I've been feeling guilty about not having any Korean friends and decided joining the gym would be a good way to meet some. Let me start off by saying, so far it looks like this was a great idea. I joined the gym, took a class, and seemed to be pretty popular there. But this post will not concentrate on my cool potential friends but on two other awesome things at the gym.

1. The Class
I was on the treadmill and saw an aerobics/dance teacher giving a class to one student in sparkly shorts (i guess the clothes they give us to wear are optional but i'm totally gonna stick with them because less laundry for me!). It looked like a pretty cool class, mostly because of the sparkly shorts and the teacher wearing a backless halter and bandeau, so I decided to join the next one after walking on the treadmill. the class i went to was much more popular - maybe 10 girls, and most were wearing the gym-issued uniform like me, so that was reassuring. Anyway, let's get to it. The first thing i noticed was the heated floor. ok cool. the next thing i noticed was the lack of instruction. normally in a dance aerobics class the teacher will give an 8 count instruction, then we'll all do it, then we'll do it faster, then she'll add on another bit, and so on. In this class we had a few minutes of one song and just followed along with the teacher, who was going at warp speed, shaking her ass, pumping her chest, and swinging her hips. Yes, just like it sounds, it was the best class ever. half-way through, someone turned on the heater and steamer, which was directly behind me so it was hot dance aerobics - like dancing in a sauna. not just like dancing in a sauna but actually dancing in a sauna. class ended an hour ago, i took a cool shower, and my face is still cherry red. anyway, we kept up the insanely fast routine for 40 minutes, stopping between songs to do some sort of exercise (like jumping jacks) while the instructor switched songs. The last few minutes were slowed down to ballet-like moves and then probably a 2 minute cool down of yoga stretching. then all the girls came over to me to ask how i liked it. i was excited that they were excited to see me but i was about to pass out so i said yeah and ran to the water bubbler. the class is monday-friday so i will go as often as possible.

2. The Shower
Now, I've already written about the bath house but the gym bath house is a little different because it's more "regulars." i didn't have energy to go through the whole routine so i went right to the showers, which are just open showers all in a row, no dividers or curtains - a bit like camp. so i sidled up to a shower and started to clean myself and when i got out my washcloth and started scrubbing, the woman next to me tapped me on the shoulder, then pointed to my washcloth. i knew immediately that she was offering to do my back and did i hesitate? No! i was v excited to get my back scrubbed by some strange lady - and it was awesome! woman went to town and i've never felt so clean. now this is awesome for two reasons, the first is obviously because i got my back washed by a stranger (keep in mind, a completely naked stranger, who put her hand on my naked body to brace herself while she rubbed me with my own washcloth), the second is because there is a spot in the bath house where people pay to get rubbed down like that and this lady was doing it to me for free. woohoo! i can't imagine anything in korea being as awesome as that moment for me. maybe next time i will offer to do some other woman's back. also, the woman on the other side of me accidently hit me with her soap while dropping it. that was fun too.

I'll let you know when i have cool new friends and what shenanigans we get up to. these girls must be fun at the club if they're taking this sexy dance class.

1 comment:

  1. the back-scrubbing was def one of my fave parts of morocco- i miss it, and i am jealous of your scrubbed back!
    it sounds like that gym was made for you?can t wait to hear about your bffs!
    -ek

    ReplyDelete