Sunday, April 5, 2009

New Girl

Thinking about Twilight reminded me of this girl who transferred to my high school. I don't remember her name or what happened to her after that first year, but I remember her instant popularity. She embraced it immediatley and acted as if she deserved it - this bothered me because not only is popularity not something ppl deserve or don't deserve, but also because she didn't deserve it. She wasn't very pretty or interesting or nice. I felt like I was the only one who could see through her.
She was on my cheerleading squad and we didn't get along because I didn't treat her like avqueen the way everyone else did. Then, at the cheer competition her old school's squad was there and as we passed them I saw her give the girls (her supposed old friends) a tentative smile. I lingered at the back of our passing group (or was in the back because I wasn't cool?) but heard them say something like, "she's tricked them into liking her." I knew it! She wasn't cool at all! What did that mean? I think I tried to tell my teammates about it and they didn't believe me, or maybe I kept it to myself for my own enjoyment. Either way, I had been right.
But did it matter? She'd gotten a second chance and was having a nice time with her new friends. And her new squad prob kicked her old squad's ass cuz we were good.
I always wondered why they didn't like her though. Was it just cuz she sucked (which was first impression of her), or had she done something unforgivable like wear the wrong clothes or have a crush on a boy out of her league or pretend to be anorexic for attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment