Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bronner Party

Tonight I got to go to my first Bronner party, which is the second closest I've been to a rave (both being with B). As soon as I got there I knew it would be something to Blog about. Approaching the house from my car we could see the strobe lights flashing and the house music pumping. We also got a glimpse of some costumes. I was scared. Upon entry we saw that everyone was in full dance mode and dressed as fairies. There was no way of knowing who was male or female. I didn't know most of the people there but that only lasted as long as it took for everyone to introduce themselves and hug my tight for several seconds longer that expected. I didn't know if the hugs were because that's what you do at a rave or if people's E had already kicked in. Did I mention we got there at 8:30pm? Anyway, I was into the music so I decided to let loose and dance with the fairies. Someone gave me her boa right away so I would fit in more. I hoped that was as much as I'd need to fit in. Every once in a while the lights would hit the glitter flaked in the air and I'd get worried about having glitter on me for days. I danced for a long time (especially for me), with random fairies coming and going and with changing costumes, which got thinner and more see-through. The fairies had slowly become Madames dressed in lingerie. A few even changed on the dance floor with only me there.
I took a break from the dancing to go outside and chat with a few people by the fire (also there were cookies) and sat by a plate filled with pills. I looked around and saw that the lingerie was slowly coming off, and decided against the pills. The main reason was that I had changed out of my cool looking red-striped underoos before going to the party and had put on my raggedy old white Jockies. Embarrassing! I tried to engage Dave in some Buffy talk and then danced some more. People randomly came up to me for more hugs and some kisses on my head. B didn't seem to be getting the same treatment. I was also getting my back rubbed by passersby and was worried that they were trying to send me some message that only ravers know about. They probably just wanted to hug me though. Sometimes the Madames would come in and dance but then they'd look outside and say, "fire!" and go sit by it. This happened several times.
While most people were slowly getting naked, one guy stayed in his original costume the entire time. He wore black pants, a t-shirt, a black sparkly vest, and a black cape. Every time he came onto the dance floor he had to pause to grab each side of his cape to dance with. He had no moves without it. I was glad he wasn't a hugger.
By the time B wanted to go, most people were nude. Raf asked if we enjoyed watching the "cuddle puddles" of people lying around the fire. What a creepy term! When we announced we were leaving everyone wanted to get up to hug us. That when I noticed the full on nudity. Not sure if I'd ever hugged a nude stranger before tonight. Cross that off my to-do list! These hugs were pretty intense too, like the hug of an old friend arriving at the airport. Maybe one day I'll have to partake in the fun... as long as no one says "cuddle puddles."

1 comment:

  1. how have you not heard of 'cuddle puddles' before?!

    ReplyDelete