Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Domestic Abuse Country Music

On my way to work this morning I heard the song "Gunpowder and Lead" and it reminded me of the power the Dixie Chicks' song "Goodbye Earle" had on fans. This song didn't seem to have that kind of following and I was wondering why. The differences are clear: "Goodbye Earle" is about an abusive husband and he gets killed without police interference, while "Gunpowder and Lead" is about an abusive husband (or father maybe) who's abused is waiting for him with a gun, after he makes bail. Is it because the country music fans have faith in their police-force, so if they say he can make bail, we should respect that? Or is it because "Goodbye Earle" was just a more fun song? Or did I simply miss out on the excitement that "Gunpowder and Lead" caused? Either way, I want to sing it at Karaoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment