Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Foreign Language Requirement

Our undergraduate programs require basic gen eds and one of those categories is foreign languages. Since I deal entirely with international students, it is extremely rare that one of my applicants will need this requirement. Nonetheless, every once in a while I will overhear Fanny discussing with a student ambassador how to schedule a Spanish class for a prospective student. I heard this today and asked Fanny if our students are required to take Spanish. She replied that usually the immigration manager, Rhoda, reprimands her for scheduling a foreign language but this student had taken Spanish 101 at another school and therefore could benefit from Spanish 102 and that the evaluator said it was required. I then called Rhoda to ask if this was necessary and she confirmed that students do not need to fulfill this requirement and the evaluator had made a mistake. I then relayed the message to Fanny, who turned to her ambassadors and told them she had been right and the evaluators were wrong. I understand the need to not look dumb in front of the ambassadors, but they are grad students and not that dumb. I guess I don't have a closing remark because I'm still baffled by the situation that should not be happening in Fanny's 2nd year doing the same thing day after day.

1 comment: