Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TOEFL Pictures

When students take the TOEFL IBT, they must get their picture taken. I guess this deters fraud. Anyway, the picture is included in black and white on the corner of their score report that gets sent directly to schools. I just want to know what is going on in the minds of the students and the photographer. I assumed the camera is just a webcam and the students sit in front of the computer and click (as I did for the GRE), but some of these pictures are so horrible that just can't be the case. Many of them are in front of a window where the natural light actually makes it impossibl to see the image. Some of them are taken at strange angles or from far away. All of them feature a prospective student who looks wholly upset to be there. They are either staring into the camera, forcing the viewer to look away scared, or they look like they're having their picture taken to be sent to a wealthy country that may send money or food when seeing the sad shot. I have yet to see someone smile in one of the pictures, although I have received a couple of hopeful looking ones. Keep in mind, I have close to 900 of these on file.

1 comment: